“In Maths, we strive to ensure that all pupils develop a resilient and logical mind-set. We ensure all pupils leave Moreton school with courage and a broad set of transferable problem-solving skills, which will enable them to react confidently and embrace all mathematical aspects of each academic, social and professional challenge ahead.” – Moreton’s Maths Department.
By adopting a teaching for mastery approach, it is intended that all pupils, regardless of their starting point, will maximise their academic achievement and leave our school with an appreciation and enthusiasm for Maths, resulting in a lifelong positive relationship with Mathematics. We are aiming to ensure that:
· We deliver a high-quality maths curriculum that is both accessible, relevant, enjoyable and challenging.
· Our students to make rich and deeper connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.
· Our students are able to confidently apply their mathematical knowledge to subjects across the school.
· Our students develop an appreciation and understanding that maths is essential to everyday life and that they will develop into resilient problem solvers.
· Our students fully develop into independent learners with inquisitive and problem-solving mindsets based on a secure mathematical foundation.
The Mathematics Department run a variety of Enrichment activities. Chess Club is one of our most popular clubs and students from all year groups attend. The club gives students the opportunity to make new friends, develop problem solving skills and to improve chess ability. We also compete against other schools. Mathematics are also introducing a gaming club that will run at lunchtimes for all year groups. Alongside the clubs, the department also holds breakfast sessions, along with period 7 sessions with dedicated teachers who will offer support with foundation and higher material.
Assistant Head of Maths
Mr Warburton is Assistant Head of Maths at Moreton School